Thursday 3 March 2016

Ooh la la it's Fifi

All my recent makes have been for a specific event or purpose, so I decided to make something just for fun this week.  I bought the Fifi pattern from Tilly and the Buttons' stall at the Handmade Fair back in December, then bought some lovely grey cotton lawn with tiny black stars specifically for this project from Maud's Fabric Finds at the Christmas Handmade Fair in November.  The pattern is described as a 'boudior set', which I am guessing is a fancy way of saying 'Summer pyjamas'!  Strangely, Gareth showed more interest in this than pretty much any other sewing project I have undertaken.

I forgot to take may photos while I was sewing, but the end result is here (too shy to actually model them myself):



The fabric was cut on the bias for the top and on the straight grain for the shorts.  I've not made anything bias-cut before, and was nervous of the pieces stretching out of shape, so I stay-stitched them as soon as I cut them as recommended and they were actually fine to work with.  It was also the first time I have sewn french seams, although it definitely won't be the last.  I love the finish and also the feel of them for delicate fabric like this, and it's nice for the inside of a garment to be (almost) as beautiful as the outside.  The pattern calls for self-made bias binding for the shoulder straps but I cheated with ready-made as I liked the look of the solid black binding against the delicate fabric.

I thought this would be a more tricky make than it turned out to be from other reviews of the pattern I have read.  It was actually quite quick to sew up (probably because there isn't much to it in terms of fabric), and I'm already on the lookout for fabric to make my next Fifi ready for the Summer xx


1 comment:

  1. Oh gorgeous Alex, here's hoping the warm nights kick in :-)

    ReplyDelete