I decided on the pattern before my trip to the handmade fair and was on the lookout for fabric. I struggled to find something until just before we were due to go home and I found the perfect fabric at the Eternal Maker stall. It is a very thick black cotton with amazing gold design. From a distance it has the look of a traditional brocade style, but close up you can see skulls, rhinos, insects and other creatures in the intricate gold pattern. The thickness of the fabric is perfect for this dress as it needs something with a good structure.
I cut out the size 10 and decided to decrease the size of the darts and also reduce the seam allowance at the waist to accommodate my tum. I went for the version with 3/4 length sleeves so I didn't have to wear a jacket as well. The pattern only gives sizing measurements, not the finished garment measurements. I should have measured the pattern but I went ahead and made the adjustments based on my experience of other patterns. It was far too big, especially over the hips. I ended up taking it in by at least 4cm on each side over the hips, re-stitching the darts as originally intended, increasing the seam allowance to about 2.5cm for most the the bodice and skirt and taking it up quite a bit at the shoulders so it wasn't too low-cut. I made more alterations to this to get a good fit than I have had to make on any other project.
The fabric really makes this project and I was delighted to get a few compliments when I wore it:
Here is another pic
What a fabulous wedding it was! Congratulations Harry and Emma and thank you for inviting us to be part of your special day x