Google+ Followers

Wednesday, 21 September 2016

Got my sewjo back - Poppy in 2 nights

I've been dying to get my teeth into a decent project after barely sewing over the Summer and only accessories for presents since then. I also wanted to rectify my recent run of disasters. So I'm pleased to say my latest make was a success. I decided to make the full length version of the Poppy Playsuit by Sew Over It using a black floral crepe I bought from their stall at the Handmade Fair. 

I made the short version of this pattern to wear on holiday, and I loved the fact it was quick and simple to sew. However, I got the sizing wrong with that and felt it looked unflattering because it was too big. I cut it out in the smaller size (8-10) this size and it fitted much better. Because it's a loose style with an elasticated waist, I can wear the smaller size and fit it to my slightly out of proportion shape!  The fabric was quite slippery but I didn't have too many problems sewing with it, except hemming the trousers when I kept getting little tucks and having to unpick and start again. I machine hemmed out of laziness, it would have been better to sew by hand. I actually ended up making the waist too big and having to take the elastic in to get it too fit. The trousers were ridiculously long on me at first, even with heels on, so I took up by an additional 3cm (although I could have taken them up further). 

The playsuit looks really different in the long version made with this type of fabric and it's good to get something new from a pattern I already own. I'm becoming a fan of the pattern and will probably make another short one for next Summer in the right size. The only gripe I have with this pattern is the fabric requirements it states - I bought at least 1.5m more than I needed. On the plus side, it means I have enough to make a blouse with as well. 

Looking forward to wearing this out tomorrow night:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment