Tuesday 10 July 2018

Keeping cool in the Heatwave - the Stevie dress

Can you believe the weather this Summer? It’s amazing - I’ve been able to wear my holiday wardrobe to work. The only downside (and I really don’t want to moan) is that I work in an un-air conditioned office that is glass-sided and south-facing. Luckily an email popped into my inbox with news of the new pattern releases from Tilly and the Buttons a couple of weeks ago. While the Seren dress looks nice, it was the Stevie that caught my eye as I knew it was something I’d get loads of wear out of. 

I had a couple of fabrics in my stash that I thought would work well with this pattern. I opted to make the first version in some navy cotton voile bought in the sale from Seasalt. You can only buy this fabric in pre-cut lengths. Luckily I had 3m of it as it is super narrow. I’ve only just about got enough for something for Polly left. I opted for the version with pocket and cuffs and was super proud of myself that I pattern-matched the pocket so well you can hardly see it!  This is marketed as a beginners pattern and it is a quick easy sew. However, it has some lovely features such as the back yoke and bow. I love the fit without any adjustments from my usual size in Tilly patterns (3). I was slightly concerned that it was too short, but looking at the photos, I think it’s ok. The fabric was gorgeous to sew with and so comfortable to wear. 

For my second version I used a bold Liberty print lawn from Abakhan. I bought this a while ago without a project in mind, and I knew it would work well with the simplicity of this dress. I decided to leave off the pocket this time as the design of the fabric has a large print. I also didn’t pattern match at the back as I was trying to be frugal with the fabric, but I think I got away with it!  As with all Liberty fabric, it feels buttery-soft and luxurious. I’m saving the rest for another project. 

I’m leaving it at two versions of Stevie for now, but I’m sure I’ll make other versions in future. It’s perfect for the warm weather and easy enough to sew in an evening. 










3 comments:

  1. Hi Alex, I saw your post on fb and thought I'd say these are amazing! I'm on sick leave at the moment, and I bought my basic machine a couple of years ago and need to learn to very basics. I'd love to learn. I read you are self taught. Can I ask for some tips on where you started, what you did first? Do I need lots of equipment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Thanks for this postπŸ₯°πŸ˜πŸ˜˜
    αž—្αž“ាαž›់αž”ាαž›់αž”αž€

    ReplyDelete