Tuesday 30 October 2018

(Backup) Four Fabulous Freyas

Long time no blog! Not really sure why I’ve been absent for so long, think life has just been in the way of blogging. I’ve been sewing like mad for the last few months, so will endeavour to catch up on blog posts about my new makes!

As the weather started changing, I had to put away all the lovely Summer dresses I had been wearing for months and think about Autumn/ Winter projects. I’d been eyeing up the Freya pattern from the Stretch Book by Tilly and the Buttons for a while, but waiting for the weather to cool down before making it. 

My first version was in a stripe ponte de roma from 1st for Fabrics. I’ve seen loads of similar tops in stripes in the shops, and I was so pleased with how this one turned out. I also made a new Cleo pinafore in mustard twill to wear it with. The Freya is a really easy sew, mainly made on the overlocker. I decided to get over my Coverstitch fear and use that to finish the neckline and do the hemming. It really does make a difference to the finished look of the garment, so I’ve vowed to keep on practicing with it. 



After my success with the top version, I decided to make a dress. The ruffle version was one of the first patterns I saw from the book, and I couldn’t resist making a version myself. I used a real ponte de roma, also from 1st for Fabrics. The construction of the dress was identical to the top. It took a long time to get the placement of the ruffle right. I pinned and re-pinned the guide ribbon time and time again. I was pleased that I persevered, as I’m really happy with the final version - just need to find an occasion to wear it now!



My Freya top and mustard Cleo immediately went into heavy wardrobe rotation so I decided to make another using up some ponte from my stash. I used this to make a Coco earlier in the year, and was pleased that there was enough left for another Freya. Black and white seems to go well with the mustard colour of the pinafore. 



The final Freya was a gift for a friend, using the remainder of the striped fabric from my first version. I had to put a seam down the centre back, which gave me an opportunity to practice my pattern matching. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a photo of this one. 

I’ll definitely be making more of these - they are perfect under pinafores and dungarees, and the dress version is smart enough for a party dress. 

1 comment: