Tuesday 11 July 2017

Smart Summer style - Sew Over It Ultimate Pencil Skirt

I've decided to formalise what I have mostly taught myself about sewing and pattern cutting by applying for an evening course at college.  I was really excited to be invited to an interview last week. In addition to putting together a portfolio, I decided to put a piece of African wax fabric that Mum bought me to use as a pencil skirt. I had been saving this fabric for ages. It is so beautiful but I only had a metre and wanted to put it to best use. 

I have made this pattern before using a kit from Sew Over It and have been planning to make again ever since, as the fit is really good for me. As this is such a summery fabric, I decided not to line the skirt - I'll never be wearing it with tights. It was a real challenge to squeeze the pattern pieces out of one metre, but after a lot of rearranging and re-folding, I managed it!

This is a very straightforward make with a couple of darts and no separate waistband (it has a facing instead). As with all Sew Over It patterns, it is a good fit for me with very minimal adjustments. I'm so pleased that I chose to make this pattern with this fabric. The fabric has enough structure for this skirt and the bold design makes it a real statement piece. 

I made a simple cotton t-shirt using New Look 6217 in bargain white fabric I bought as part of my super haul at the Handmade Fair. This is a lovely quick sew and it  is simple enough not to detract from the skirt. 

So all in all, a great outfit to showcase my skills and fabric choices at the interview. Only spanner in the works is that we were informed on arrival at the interview that the course is heavily over-subscribed so there are no spaces left. Although I'm hugely disappointed, I'm on the waiting list and can always reapply for the following academic year if I am unable to study this year!





No comments:

Post a Comment