Google+ Followers

Monday, 11 July 2016

Holiday sewing part 2 - another Bettine

I'm marching on with the holiday sewing projects - nothing like a deadline for motivation (or fear that I'll have nothing to wear on my hols!).  I took a trip to John Lewis last weekend as I'd heard they had a sale on in haberdashery. It wasn't my usual store and the fabric selection was much smaller with not much in the sale. I did pick up some cotton lawn for another project, but then got tempted by some beautiful (non-sale) Amy Butler cotton. It was more than I had planned to spend but Gareth wasn't around to see and I knew it would make a fabulous Bettine!

The cotton is thicker than I would normally use for this dress but it still has some drape and the design is really striking. Following some advice I learned from the Great British Sewing Bee (congratulations Charlotte btw - you were my favourite from the start!), I refolded. Before cutting so the main flower design went centrally down the front and back bodice and skirt pieces. I'm so pleased I heard this tip - it's obvious really, but I've always tended to just go with folding selvedge to selvedge and the design looked so much better this way. 

I chose to make the version with pockets (always love a pocket) and sleeve tabs as I love the extra details. I remembered it was possible to squeeze it into two metres of fabric from my last Bettine and made sure I added the right seam allowance for the facings this time. The fabric was a dream to sew with, it is so soft. 

It was worth treating myself to this fabric as the end result is great and it's so soft and comfortable to wear. Now onto the next holiday sewing project!



No comments:

Post a Comment